Improve your smile with cosmetic dental care and porcelain veneers in San Francisco, CA
With only seven seconds to make a good first impression, you want to have a beautiful, healthy smile. A winning smile can improve your personal and professional relationships and make you feel good about yourself. Crooked, discolored, or gapped teeth can detract from your smile. In San Francisco, CA, Dr. Terri Nguyen and Dr. Laura Huynh of West Portal Family Dentistry offer cosmetic dental care including porcelain veneers to enhance your smile.
Customized treatment plan
The number of requests for cosmetic dentistry has increased in recent years. Enhancing the smile makes a simple, yet dramatic improvement to one’s overall physical appearance. At West Portal Family Dentistry, we understand the importance of a healthy smile and how it affects a patient’s quality of life. Cosmetic dental care refers to any procedure or treatment that alters the appearance of the teeth and/or gums. Although cosmetic procedures are usually elective and done for aesthetic reasons, overall oral health is established and maintained during the process.
Every patient has unique needs. Prior to a cosmetic procedure, a consultation and examination are performed to review a patient’s current oral health, medical history, appropriateness of the desired procedure, and anticipated outcomes. This ensures there are no problems that may interfere with the cosmetic process but also that your teeth, gums, and oral cavity are healthy. Your dentist will help you choose the most appropriate procedure to enhance your smile and to give you the results you desire.
Cosmetic dental care and porcelain veneers
Beginning in the 1920’s, veneers were used to temporarily improve the smiles of Hollywood actors and actresses while filming. Now, veneers are available as an option for everyone looking to permanently transform their smiles.
Made of ultra thin shells of porcelain, veneers are bonded to the teeth to alter their appearance. The porcelain material closely resembles natural tooth enamel in color and opalescence. Veneers may be applied to a single tooth, multiple teeth, or an entire set for a smile makeover. They can transform the size, shape, and/or color of the teeth. The end result is an even, winning smile.
Your guide to porcelain veneers
Veneers are a custom dental treatment. Following the initial consultation, the teeth need to be prepped for veneers. Since veneers are ultra thin, only a small amount of the tooth has to be removed. Once the teeth are prepared, impressions of the teeth are taken. The impressions and dentist’s notes are sent to a laboratory for fabrication. The goal is for the veneers to look natural and to blend seamlessly.
Once the veneers have been fabricated, they are bonded to the teeth. First, the teeth are cleaned and polished. An etching gel is applied to help with the bonding process. The veneers are applied and residual material is removed. The patient can go home with a new stunning smile.
Dental imperfections such as gapped, stained, chipped, or crooked teeth can be corrected with porcelain veneers and cosmetic dental procedures. Regardless of your need, veneers have a number of benefits in smile enhancement.
- Ultra thin – Veneers are no thicker than a fingernail. The teeth are prepared to allow room for the veneers. Less than 1mm, or the thickness of the veneer, is removed to allow the product to blend seamlessly with the natural tooth for a smooth result.
- Versatile – Veneers have many uses. They can correct a single tooth or multiple teeth. Teeth with chips, misalignments, cracks, gaps, or discolorations including tetracycline stains can be improved.
- Durable – Porcelain is often used in dental procedures. Not only does it resemble natural tooth enamel in color, but it is also sturdy, durable, and long-lasting. It can withstand the functions of a natural tooth.
- Safe – Your teeth are not damaged by veneers. The porcelain material is metal-free and safe.
- Customized treatment – Veneers are created on an individual basis using the patient’s impressions and the dentist’s notes. The product is color matched to the surrounding teeth. Notes are made regarding the size, shape, and color of the teeth to produce a natural-looking result.
If you are interested in cosmetic dental care, schedule an appointment with Dr. Nguyen or Dr. Huynh in San Francisco, CA. Contact our office to schedule your appointment. Call (415) 661-7779.