Expertly-designed dental crowns and bridges in San Francisco
Versatile dental crownsA dental crown is a cap that covers a tooth, restoring natural shape, size, and strength. A crown is a good option in these situations:
- Decay is too advanced for the tooth to support a filling.
- To hold together and brace a cracked tooth.
- To save a broken tooth.
- The finishing touch for root canal therapy or a dental implant.
- To anchor a bridge or a partial denture.
- For cosmetic enhancement of a poorly shaped or discolored tooth.
First, the tooth is shaped with special instruments. Impressions are taken and sent to a dental laboratory, where the crown is fabricated. A temporary crown is placed so that you can eat normally and look natural. The initial appointment takes approximately an hour and a half. You return in about ten working days to have the interim restoration removed and the final crown cemented in place.
The dentist may recommend:
- An all porcelain crown for a front tooth restoration, or a porcelain fused to metal crown to restore a back tooth.
- A zirconia crown if you have a heavy bite or grind your teeth.
- An all gold crown for back molar teeth.
West Portal Family Dentistry also offers porcelain inlays and onlays. They are appropriate when the area of decay or damage is too big for a filling, but doesn’t require a full crown.
BridgesA dental bridge consists of an artificial tooth (or several), held in place by crowns on teeth adjacent to the gap. The process is similar to the crown procedure described above. A bridge is a good option for the patient who is not a good candidate for, or doesn’t want, a dental implant.
For more information on dental crowns and bridges, call our San Francisco office at (415) 604-9292.
- Porcelain tooth crowns are a smart choice with San Francisco, CA area dentist
- San Francisco area patients ask, “How long do dental bridges last?”
- Dentist in San Francisco CA explains situations in which patients may need a dental crown for the teeth
- Reasons patients in San Francisco, CA may require dental crowns