Dental implants: The new standard in tooth replacement option for San Francisco residents
Implant basicsA dental implant is a small cylinder made of lightweight, yet extremely strong titanium. It is placed into the jawbone, replicating the root of a missing tooth. The body readily accepts this biocompatible material. The basic steps in the procedure are:
- Consultation and evaluation – Treatment doesn’t start until you and the dentist are comfortable with this treatment option.
- Careful planning –CT imaging provides a clear, three-dimensional view of your mouth. With that information, the dentist plans exact placement of the implant, and anticipates the need for bone grafting.
- Implant placement – A small incision is made in the gum, and a small hole is created in the jawbone. The implant is placed into this opening.
- Temporary tooth – – In many cases, the patient doesn’t leave our office without a tooth! We place a temporary restoration at the implant site.
- Healing – Over several months, bone fuses solidly with the implant.
- Restoration – When the timing is appropriate, the temporary crown is removed and impressions are taken. A final crown is fabricated.
- Finishing touches! – You return in about ten working days to have the final crown cemented in place, and polished to lustrous perfection.
Dental implants look, feel, and function so much like a natural tooth that most patients forget which one is the implant! With good oral hygiene – brushing after meals, flossing twice a day, and maintaining regular checkups and cleaning – dental implants can potentially last a lifetime. In San Francisco, call (415) 604-9292 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Terri Nguyen.
- What your San Francisco dentist wants you to know about teeth implants
- San Francisco, CA dentist explains the process of dental implants for smile restoration
- Patients looking for missing teeth replacement near me in San Francisco, CA choose dental implants
- San Francisco, CA area dental team describe how dental implants work